News:

The hot new unofficial YouTube forum

Main Menu

Recent Posts

Welcome to YT Yak. Please login or sign up.

18 May, 2024, 08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Copyrighted Music

Started by bonzillesgames, 14 Nov, 2022, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonzillesgames

The one thing I don't really understand about copyright strikes is how stupid it is.

What I mean if someone really likes a song and posts the song on YouTube to share it with more people.
This surely means more people are going to actually find out about a singer or song that they never even heard off before.
Which in my opinion would  pretty benefitable to the singer as they get more exposure.
The only singer I heard being nice to someone posted 1 of there music videos was Maisey Kay who sang the game theme song of Lorelai.
Instead of getting prissy about it being posted she commented that she was glad that they enjoyed and and actually thanked them for sharing it.
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFjWYgRacih4HqjwGyvTVw/featured

JayZippo

QuoteThe one thing I don't really understand about copyright strikes is how stupid it is.

What I mean if someone really likes a song and posts the song on YouTube to share it with more people.
This surely means more people are going to actually find out about a singer or song that they never even heard off before.
Which in my opinion would  pretty benefitable to the singer as they get more exposure.
The only singer I heard being nice to someone posted 1 of there music videos was Maisey Kay who sang the game theme song of Lorelai.
Instead of getting prissy about it being posted she commented that she was glad that they enjoyed and and actually thanked them for sharing it.

I've seen it both ways. Mostly the latter. I had Kelly Maize contact me when I used one of her songs (though it was free to use for non commercial) and she loved it. I had a few others too.

Long time ago I put a Black Sabbath song for my intro. It took them 9 years to finally realize this and they only have caught a few so far. It was some rando company I looked up and it is a big organization that must find songs being used without permission, etc. That leads me to my main point.

Most of the time you get a copyright strike (as far as I know) it is not the artist or agent. It is a company that is hired to find all the songs and hit them with a strike. So in many ways the artist might not even know, plus there are too many assknobs that use the song for other means... so they are protecting themselves.

I hate the companies that say the "melody" is the problem and that is wide open for interpretation.

Dunno. It is weird. It seems it is either the wild wild west, or its no soup for you.
Jay Zippo Youtube - Midnight Hollow Paranormal - The World of Legon - Dungeons and Dragons - Fallout 4 and Tara Dikoff - Starfield with Deputy Ranger Deez Nuts
  • https://www.youtube.com/@jayzippo

JayZippo

I have been getting hit with a certain company that claimed a song on my Skyrim streams. It is a song owned by Bethesda, but I am weary of fighting them. It is weird how they come across:

Hi Jay Zippo,

A copyright owner using Content ID has claimed some material in your video.

Your video is live and the visibility settings you selected remain applied to it. But it is now either being monetized by the copyright owner, or they have chosen to receive analytics about it.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

Video title: Skyrim Modded 4k - Stable For Now, Pt.3 - Warriors of Dibella
    Copyrighted content: Wardenfell
    Claimed by: Triple Vision Record Distribution

---------------------

So it is obviously wrong, and I have reported them to bethesda / zenimax as well as that goes. But I am unsure if I fight it, what really happens and if it would escalate into a copyright strike if I lose. I know I am not wrong but hey, this is Youtube and all.

What can I do?

Next steps

- If there are no problems, you don't need to take any action and you don't need to delete your video.

- If something went wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you're confident you have the rights to use all the content in your video.

- You can also remove the claimed content using Studio's editing tools.

--------------

So every time it is 18-22 seconds. I listen to it, and the song goes on for 2 minutes. It is always at a different point and I am almost positive the one time the time stamp didn't even have music.

From what I read an obvious scam, thinking I am monetized, etc. So yeah, I cover the song up since it is so short, then it goes away and they have no claim on my video.

Just a little update on this weird bullsh*t youtube does.

Jay Zippo Youtube - Midnight Hollow Paranormal - The World of Legon - Dungeons and Dragons - Fallout 4 and Tara Dikoff - Starfield with Deputy Ranger Deez Nuts

bonzillesgames

I do get a lot of these

The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike.

Tricky Adventure - 1 Min-12333
Christian Andersson
Content found during: 19:20 - 19:50

only thing I find odd is that it is a android game and the same melody appears several times in the same game yet it only gets hit once per video.

Other thing is that I have uploaded about 5 gameplays of the game and some get the content id and the other do not and it has the exact same melody.

I could mute out the melody but it seems too much bother as I am not monetized and probably never will be
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFjWYgRacih4HqjwGyvTVw/featured

JayZippo

QuoteI do get a lot of these

The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike.

Tricky Adventure - 1 Min-12333
Christian Andersson
Content found during: 19:20 - 19:50

only thing I find odd is that it is a android game and the same melody appears several times in the same game yet it only gets hit once per video.

Other thing is that I have uploaded about 5 gameplays of the game and some get the content id and the other do not and it has the exact same melody.

I could mute out the melody but it seems too much bother as I am not monetized and probably never will be

Depends. If your final goal is to be monetized, cover it or fight it every time. So if and when you get monetized, those videos will be yours. Otherwise that person who claimed it will have it (money wise anyways).

If you are like me, never going to monetize, then yeah it doesn't matter.

I always get a little angry, but I have to tell myself (I am not much for defending google, but...) they have billions of videos, how are they supposed to handle that? They say 15K of videos get uploaded every minute. EVERY MINUTE. Over 20 million a day. A DAY. It doesn't even sound real or correct.

My biggest fear is the sustainability of the platform. I have been pondering the idea of buying a big external drive and keeping my videos and ones I really like on Youtube there for the off chance it collapses or decides to do something drastic like pruning or removing videos to conserve space, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk